Warning after woman aged 79 hurt in fire

AN elderly woman accidentally set fire to her slippers and trousers when she dropped a burning pan of food.

Firefighters have now warned people not to try to move pans which have caught on fire, following the incident on Saturday.

They attended sheltered housing in Griffin Close, Bury, just before 5.20pm, after reports of a kitchen fire.

The 79-year-old woman had been cooking food when it caught fire, so she covered the pan with a towel.

She then tried to move it, but dropped the hot pan, causing boiling oil to spill which ignited the floor, the woman’s slippers and the bottom of her trousers.

Staff and residents at the housing block came to the aid of the woman, who suffered burns to her legs and feet. A fire service spokesman said: “If you do have any oil that sets on fire, just leave it. Leave it to the fire service. Phone 999 and get out.”

The woman was given first-aid at the scene and taken to Fairfield Hospital.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree