When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Dog dies in freak kitchen blaze
10:00am Tuesday 8th January 2013 in News
A DOG died after switching on a cooker hob and causing a fire.
It is believed the dog jumped on to the hob and caught the switch with its paw, starting the fire at the semi-detached house in Borough Avenue, Radcliffe.
The blaze broke out at 6.10pm on Sunday and crews from Bury and Whitefield attended.
The fire was out when they arrived, but the dog and several fish in a tank in the kitchen had died.
There was fire damage to the cupboards surrounding the cooker and severe smoke damage in the kitchen.
Cllr David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “It’s sad somebody has lost their pet dog and fish as a result of this fire.
“Not only do the occupiers now face the emotional impact of the incident, but they are also left with the financial cost of the damage to their home.
“Unfortunately, strange incidents such as a dog jumping up and knocking the switches to turn a hob on do happen and despite all of our prevention work, we can't hope to stop all of these things from happening.”