When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Homes evacuated in gas blast fears
11:16am Thursday 7th March 2013 in News
Emergency services evacuated 100 homes in Bury after a fire involving a gas cylinder prompted fears of an explosion.
Firefighters were called to a house in Radcliffe Road, Redvales, at 3pm on Saturday where they discovered a fire involving an uncontrolled leak in an acetylene cylinder in the driveway of a house.
A 50-metre cordon was set up and residents were given shelter at nearby Radcliffe Road Baptist Church, with an announcement also being made at Bury FC’s Gigg Lane match with Crawley Town that the road was closed.
The British Red Cross arrived with supplies, while the cylinder was made safe, but residents were allowed back into their homes by 7.45pm.
Sergeant Martin Bailey, from Greater Manchester Police, said: “We got the call just before 4pm to provide the fire service with support for the evacuation.”
Greater Manchester Fire Service’s incident commander, Kevin Talbot, said: “There are procedures in place for things like this and we have to make sure they’re safe before we let people back in.
“Some went to the church but most went to the houses of friends or relatives.”
Steven Axon, aged 29, who lives in Radcliffe Road, but was outside the cordon, said: “I didn’t know what was going on so I looked on the Bury Times website.
“If I’d known it might blow up I might have moved a bit further away!”
Redvales councillor Tamoor Tariq had headed to the scene following calls from concerned residents.
He said: “I think the whole incident was handled brilliantly.
“I’d like to place on record my thanks to all of the emergency services for the outstanding job they did.”