When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Health chiefs deny rumours of A&E closure
10:34am Thursday 14th March 2013 in News
HEALTH bosses have denied rumours that the accident and emergency department at North Manchester Hospital could close.
Despite speculation that the unit could be downgraded to an urgent care centre, a spokesman for Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust said no decisions had been made. However the trust, which also runs Fairfield Hospital, does plan to carry out a review of its services.
It is not known how or if Fairfield will be affected, though there are already plans to extend the accident and emergency (A&E) unit in a £2.5 million scheme which includes the creation of a separate A&E for children.
A trust spokesman said: “No proposals are yet developed — we are in the preparatory stages of developing a long-term vision for our future and at present are actively reviewing our business.
“The trust’s most senior clinical leaders are already engaged in, and helping lead, the process, and we have started a programme of multidisciplinary staff events.”