When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Police discover report of teenager raped in Bury Cemetery was false
10:42am Saturday 23rd March 2013 in News
POLICE investigating after a 16-year-old girl reported being raped in Bury Cemetery have discovered it was a false report.
The 16-year-old girl had said she was attacked on March 7, between 4.30pm and 5.30pm, as she walked from Market Street through Bury cemetery.
She said a man grabbed hold of her and dragged her off the path before raping her.
But today, officers said that the report was false.
Detective Inspector Ian Harratt, of Greater Manchester Police's Serious Sexual Offences Unit, said: “On this occasion the rape that was reported to have taken place in Bury cemetery earlier this month, has proven to be a false account.
"However, this does not change the fact that we take all reports of rape seriously and investigate thoroughly and without prejudice, which can be demonstrated by our significant investment in relation to this report.
"Greater Manchester Police encourages anyone who has been a victim of rape or any sort of sexual abuse to come forward, but I must also stress the importance of providing police with genuine reports due to the time we invest in investigating these cases.
"I hope this incident does not deter victims from coming forward to police. We have specially-trained officers who give a tremendous amount of time and support to anyone who has been a victim of rape and we work extremely closely with the St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre. We can not only help you, but also put your attacker behind bars."
Anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault can contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050 or 999 in an emergency. GMP has specially trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and help support them through the criminal justice process.