When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Arson attack at 61-year-old's man's house in Brandlesholme
Fire crews from Bury were called to Arundel Close around midnight last Thursday.
On arrival, they found the property filled with smoke.
A 61-year-old man had been forced to flee the house using the back door.
Ambulance crews checked him over and found that he was unharmed.
Police were also called to the incident, and later said that they were following a number of lines of enquiry, including that the man may have known the alleged arsonist.
PC Donna Haldare, of Bury police, said: “We can confirm that there was an incident at the property, and one male was in the house at the time.
“We have got several lines of inquires at the moment, but we are appealing for anyone with information should contact us.”
The man was upstairs when the fire began but the smoke alarm in the house was not working.
Watch manager Pete Fletcher said it was fortunate the man was not asleep.
He said: “This demonstrates the importance of checking that your fire alarm is working.
“If the gentleman had been asleep at the time, then this could have been a very different situation.
“I urge people to check that their alarms are in good working order.”
Firefighters were at the incident for about 30 minutes and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.
A neighbour said: “It is not every day you see this.
“Every man and his dog turned up; police cars, fire engines, ambulances.
“It is usually like Sleepy Hollow.”
Anyone with information about the fire should call police on 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Comments are closed on this article.