When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Bury to light up for 2013 Light Night tomorrow
BURY will be aglow tomorrow night when thousands of visitors descend upon the town centre for the third annual Light Night extravaganza.
And they will be able to enjoy a large and eclectic mix of arts, music, performance and visual treats, set against the backdrop of lit-up buildings and animated public spaces.
Most of the events, to take place between 6pm and 9pm, will be free. Apart from the major Light Night attractions, there will also be a tasty array of bustling markets and food and drink on offer, plus late-night shopping opportunities.
Organisers say this year’s event is getting back to its roots by showcasing the best of Bury and celebrating the heartbeat of the town through arts, culture and attractions.
The bumper programme of events embraces:
- Steaming up at Bury Transport Museum, Castlecroft Road.
- A hot air balloon at the East Lancashire Railway car park.
- A Briar Rose and The Beating Heart of Tango events at the Castle Armoury.
- A Bury Hospice Onesies/Pyjama Walk, at 8pm.
- A Musical Interlude at Bury Unitarian Church.
- Enchanted Garden at the Library Gardens.
- Enchanted Tales, Dominic Berry and Gemma Lees events at Gallipoli Garden.
- A Time for Light show plus Polinski, Manchester School of Art, Lee Paterson and Ben Gwilliam events at Bury Art Museum.
- Heroism and Madness guided tour at the Fusilier Museum, Moss Street.
- Northern Bites featuring northern fayre, Tourist Information Centre.
- Garden De Light illumination, Kay Gardens.
- Light Night Art Trail, Liz West multi-coloured fluores-cent stick lights, Vincent James artwork, Stephen Nuttall abstract life-size figures, Dawn Cretney Light Club, Yiikes Collection, Joanna Randall portraits, Look, Learn and Care and Bringing Light Churches Together events – all at the Mill Gate centre.
- Light Beats, Twisted Tubes and The 5 Jays, Prato, Bell and Luckin Trio and The Rocket — all at the Lions Gardens, Crompton Street.
- Candelabra and open event at Bury Parish Church.
- Acid Brass, The Met in Market Street.
- Larks of Dean Quire, Bury United Reformed Church, Parsons Lane.
- Glow Night Spectacular, AMF Bowling, The Rock.
- An Evening of Live Music, Barista, Upper Rock.
- I Will If You Will, The Rock.
For more details, download the Bury Light Programme here
Getting to Bury Light Night
The council is recommending people take the bus or tram to get to Light Night.
On Friday, October 11, the following roads will be closed:
• Bolton Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Back Broad Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Bank Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Broad Street to Back Market Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Back Market Street closed all day.
• Cooper Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Market Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Market Place closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Moss Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• Silver Street closed from 5pm to 10pm.
• The Rock closed from 7am to 11pm
Comments are closed on this article.