When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Fusiliers march on Westminster in protest as battalion faces axe
5:47pm Tuesday 15th October 2013 in News
Hundreds of Fusilier veterans have marched in Westminster to protest about the scrapping of their historic battalion.
Former soldiers from Second Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (2RRF), delivered a petition at 10 Downing Street before setting off in formation down Whitehall towards Parliament.
Wearing their distinctive red and white plumes in their berets, the ex-servicemen marched to a fife and drum band dressed in ceremonial animal skins.
Colonel Ian Brazier, Chairman of The Fusiliers Association, led the protest which included several former Colonels of the Regiment, families and widows.
They were were joined by around ten MPs, including John Baron (Basildon and Billericay), who is leading a cross-party drive for a re-evaluation of the Government's defence cuts.
Organisers said the demonstration outside Parliament is only the second public military protest since the British Army was formed in 1707.
Col Brazier - who recently interrupted Defence Secretary Philip Hammond's speech at the Conservative Party Conference, calling him a "disgrace" - said: "It makes absolutely no sense for 2RRF to be disbanded.
"The government has spoken about efficiencies and cost savings, but there is no explanation for this unfathomable decision, despite repeated formal requests under the Freedom of Information Act.
"A public review of the criteria which led to the last minute substitution of 2RRF for disbandment, ostensibly offered by the Secretary of State for Defence, has not materialised. It has proved to be an empty offer.
"So far, this has been a striking demonstration of poor management and leadership on the government's part, to say nothing of the betrayal of the hundreds of men who have served in the Second Battalion."
It was announced in July last year that the Army will be downsized to 82,000 regular troops by 2020.
Organisers of the protest said they had seen letters from the MoD that show 2RRF was not on the original list for disbandment, as it is one of the best recruited and most sustainable regiments in the army, with strong local ties to Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, and London.
They said 2RRF was instead substituted for a battalion from a regiment with a poorer recruitment and retention record, with no explanation.
Mr Baron, a former Fusilier, said: "The axing of 2RRF proves the government's mishandling of these army reforms.
"It makes no sense to save less well-recruited - and therefore more expensive - battalions.
"Such a policy simply reinforces failure and costs the taxpayer more.
"It is yet more evidence that government plans to replace 20,000 regulars with 30,000 reservists are on the rocks.
"They will not deliver the cost savings envisaged. Replacing regular troops with reservists will be expensive and lead to unacceptable manpower and capability gaps, but the government seems determined to plough on blindly.
"Let us hope this march and the House of Commons debate on defence reforms this Thursday will encourage a rethink."
An MoD spokesman said: "We have been clear that the Regular Army is becoming smaller and over a year ago we also announced changes to its structure so it is more reflective of the complex global situation.
"These changes were led by the Army, who took account of a number of criteria to determine which infantry battalions would be withdrawn, to ensure the Army is more adaptable to future challenges.
"To suggest decisions were taken on recruitment performance alone is a fundamental misunderstanding of the Army's process."
Comments are closed on this article.