A “MISSILE attack” has left a woman scared to get on a bus after she was sprayed with broken glass on her way home from work.
Amanda Newham, aged 25, of Seddon Close, Radcliffe, was on a Metrolink replacement bus service on Friday when an object was smashed through a window.
Ms Newham said she feared for her life as was hit by shards of glass as the missile smashed through the window, narrowly missing her head as it flew across the bus.
The attack happened in Queen's Road at its junction with Woodlands Road in Cheetham Hill at around 6.30pm, when there were around 30 people on board.
Ms Newham, a pensions administrator, got on the bus at Piccadilly Gardens and was left shaken after s glass hit her face, scalp and hand.
She said: “In different circumstances I could have been killed, or one of us could have been seriously injured.
“At first I thought a glass bottle had smashed. But everyone on the bus was saying there had been a shot.
People were screaming.
“Glass was all over me and I was crying and in shock.
“If it had been just a few inches lower, it would have hit me or the man sitting next to me.”
Ms Newham said a couple with a baby in a pram had been stood where the glass smashed but had got off the bus moments before the attack.
An ambulance was called but Amanda she says that when a police officer phoned to check on its location he was told she was a “low priority”
case and that a wait could be up to three hours.
Ms Newham made her own way to accident and emergency and spent 90 minutes there as doctors removed glass from her scalp with tweezers.
Several days later she discovered a tiny shard lodged in her cheek under her eye.
Ms Newham added: “I was on the side of the road crying, my legs shaking like jelly.
“I thought it was disgusting I was forced to make my own way to A&E because I was considered too low a priority.
“The whole thing has made me really nervous about sitting near windows and I would be scared to get a bus again.
“It has mentally scarred me, it is just lucky the glass didn’t.
“I want young people who might do something like this to realise how serious it could be and think twice.”
Police confirmed they were called at 6.25pm and said no one had been arrested but that investigations suggested it was a brick which had been thrown.
A spokeswoman for North West Ambulance Service said an initial call from Ms Newham was logged at 6.33pm and a second call from her to cancel the ambulance was recorded at 7.17pm.
She said all 999 calls are categorised based on the caller’s information to prioritise patients on the basis of medical need.
North West Ambulance Service aim to answer the most life-threatening incidents within eight minutes, serious calls within 19 minutes and attend to less serious cases in between 20 minutes and four hours.
The spokeswoman said: “There is nothing on our logs to suggest there was a follow up call from a police officer.
“However we would not do a complete check unless a formal complaint had been lodged by the person concerned.
“We fully understand waiting for an ambulance can be distressing and we encourage patients to contact us directly to discuss concerns.”
Work on the refurbishment of the Manchester Victoria Metrolink stop meant between Friday (February 21) and Sunday (February 23) services were replaced with buses from Abraham Moss on the Bury line.