THE widow of a Ramsbottom man has paid tribute to her husband who died in the Hillsborough disaster.

Jurors at the Hillsborough inquest, which started last week, today listened intently to Stephanie Sweeney, the widow of Barry Glover, a greengrocer from Ramsbottom, who died aged 27.

"Barry was a very thoughtful, kind and caring husband, son, brother-in-law, son-in-law and friend who worked hard and always had time for others," Ms Sweeney said.

Nine other family members read tributes to their loved ones during the sixth day of the fresh inquests, including Sara Williams, whose late mother Anne Williams played a leading role in the campaign for the original inquest verdicts to be quashed.

The son of the oldest fan killed in the Hillsborough disaster told the inquest jury how he and his father battled desperately for their lives after witnessing "hell before our eyes".

Gerard Baron Jnr recalled how he tried to reassure 67-year-old war veteran Gerard Baron Senior as they were caught in the crush which killed 96 Liverpool fans.

In a tribute to Mr Baron Snr, who lived in Preston, his son told how they travelled together to the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

In evidence to fresh inquests into the events at Hillsborough on April 15, 1989, Mr Baron said: "What transpired that day changed my life forever.

"Neither of us envisaged witnessing hell before our eyes, nor did we expect to be fighting so desperately for our lives, as were so many others.

"The very last words I said to my father were, 'You will be okay'. How wrong I was."

Mr Baron had flown to the UK from his home in South Australia to give evidence to the inquest court in Warrington, Cheshire.

In his evidence he described Mr Baron Snr, a retired postal inspector, as a doting father to seven children, a supportive husband, a loving grandparent and a dear friend to many.

Mr Baron added that his father - whose brother played for Liverpool in the 1950 FA Cup Final - had a phenomenal football knowledge and was a "sportsman, serviceman and worthy citizen".

The inquest, which has so far heard personal tributes from the families of 27 victims, was adjourned.