Supermarket apologises after two-year-old girl falls ill after eating out of date cheese (From Bury Times)
When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Asda apologises after two-year-old girl falls ill after eating out of date cheese from online delivery
A SUPERMARKET chain has apologised after a two-year-old Bury girl became ill after eating cheese which was more than a fortnight out of date.
Brent Pinder said the “Chuckles” natural cheese was supplied as part of an online home shopping order which was delivered to him from Asda in Pilsworth.
Later, after visiting the supermarket to complain, the 21-year-old received a £20 store voucher and a quantity of nappies and wipes.
But he said: “The fact is that this should never have happened in the first place. The main problem is that the Simpsons-themed cheese was marketed at children.” Mr Pinder, of Lichfield Drive, added: “When the order arrived, we gave two of the five slices of the cheese to my two-year-old daughter, Myah.
“The following day she developed an upset tummy and, for three to four days, could only take juice and water, but no solids.
“When she became ill, we went through everything she’d eaten the day before and discovered the cheese was 16 days out of date. I also discovered that one of the slices was mouldy. I rang customer services and they said they would refund the £1 cost of the cheese.
“But I felt that was unacceptable and that we should also be given a goodwill toy or something else, given we’d purchased it in good faith.”
Later, Mr Pinder went to the Pilsworth store and spoke to a representative before receiving the voucher, as well as free nappies and wipes.
Following the incident, Asda home shopping staff have been rebriefed on date- checking procedures.
An Asda spokesman said: “We take any complaint of this nature seriously and we have strict processes in place to avoid such an incident.
“Unfortunately, on this occasion, it seems we didn’t meet our own high standards and have moved quickly to investigate this to ensure it doesn’t happen again.”
Comments are closed on this article.