Woman taken to hospital after house fire in Bury

Woman taken to hospital after house fire in Bury

Woman taken to hospital after house fire in Bury

First published in News Bury Times: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A 34-year-old woman was taken to hospital after a fire which was accidentally started by her young boy caused her to inhale smoke fumes.

Her semi-detached house, in Alfred Street, Bury, caught fire at around 11am after her son started playing with a lighter in his bedroom.

The woman was taken to Fairfield Hospital as a precautionary measure, after firefighters noticed black marks around her mouth.

There were four people in the property and they were all safely evacuated, with the boy's mother the only casualty.

Firefighters from Bury Central and Whitefield fire station attended the scene and were there for around two hours.

The boy's bedroom was destroyed by the blaze and the fire took about 20 minutes to be brought under control.

Pete Fletcher, watch manager at Bury Central fire station, said: "This is a timely reminder for people to check their smoke alarms and ensure they keep flammable items out of the sight of children."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree