HOMEOWNERS have been urged to take care when cooking after a kitchen fire in Whitefield.

Fire crews were called after a fire had started in an oven in Glendevon Place.

Three crews from Whitefield, Broughton and Blackley, arrived on the scene just after 1am on Friday morning.

Firefighters managed to contain the fire to the oven and one person was treated for smoke inhalation.

Crews were on scene for around an hour and said the cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesperson from Whitefield Fire said that the home did not have any smoke alarms fitted so new ones were installed.

More information about safety in the kitchen can be found at www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/fire_safety_advice/safety_in_kitchen/