A PLUME of smoke could be seen for miles around after a fire broke out in Radcliffe this evening.

Firefighters were called to a unit at Constellation Mill in Ainsworth Road at 7.30pm when a fire got out of control.

The fire had been started to burn off some wood but the blaze caught hold of an old Christmas tree, before spreading to a pile of tyres.

No one was hurt in the incident but the flames caused some damage to a garage door.

Watch manager Karl Gibbons said: “There was a large quantity of smoke and it could be seen from quite a distance.

“We were there in plenty of time to stop it spreading any further.

“The damage to the garage was superficial. There was some smoke damage inside but that cleared afterwards.”

One fire engine was on the scene for around 45 minutes, with crews using a hose reel and jet to put out the flames.