JERMAINE Beckford blazed a 94th-minute penalty over the crossbar as Bury lost 3-2 away to Fleetwood.

The Shakers were let off the hook early on when Jordy Hiwula lifted his own spot kick over the bar, but the forward responded by bagging a brace to put the hosts 2-0 up.

Beckford pulled a goal back with a sensational overhead kick before substitute Josh Laurent netted the equaliser on the stroke of half time.

The Shakers looked the more threatening after the break but Ashley Hunter came off the bench to score the winner, which leaves Bury flirting with the relegation zone and increases the pressure building on manager Lee Clark.

The Shakers looked threatening early on as the forward five linked up well – Maguire lifting the first effort over the bar from just outside the area.

A moment of madness from Aldred in the eighth minute, bringing Lewie Bell down in the box, gifted the Cod Army a great chance to open the scoring from the spot but Hiwula lifted the ball over.

However, the striker made no mistake when picked out by Lewie Coyle in the 22nd minute, sweeping home a low cross from the right. And Six minutes later it was two. Amari’i Bell was left with acres of space down the left and he beat Jordan Williams with ease before crossing for Hiwula to tap home.

As the Shakers supporters burst into a chant of “this is embarrassing,” Smith tried his luck from distance and brought a fine save out of Alex Cairns. From the following Maguire corner, Smith headed the ball across goal for Beckford to convert acrobatically.

Rohan Ince was struggling as a lone midfielder so Clark made an early change to offer the Brighton loanee support in the middle, with Laurent replacing Harry Bunn.

And the substitution worked as Laurent headed in an equaliser from Maguire’s corner a minute before the break.

Bury started the second half brighter and earned their luck when Aiden O’Neill’s thumping header crashed back off the upright.

And they had the chance to take the lead moments later when Smith burst through on goal but he was denied by a smart Cairns save.

As the Shakers pushed bodies forward they were picked off by a clinical counter-attack. Joe Murphy did superbly to deny Devante Cole when through one-on-one, but substitute Hunter was in the right place to tuck in the rebound.

Bury pushed for an equaliser and, after a melee in the box, were offered a lifeline. But Beckford smashed the penalty over to condemn Clark’s side to their third straight defeat.