RESIDENTS have been told to stay in their homes and keep windows and doors shut following a fire chemical factory.

Fire crews were called to Ferrari Electroplating, in Bury Road, Radcliffe, at 8.45pm when a vat containing 2,500 litres of copper sulphate set alight.

More than 30 firefighters worked for three hours to tackle the blaze and stop it spreading further into the building.

A cordon was set up around the warehouse and people living nearby were advised to keep their doors and windows closed to protect them from any toxic fumes.

No-one was in the factory at the time of the fire and the cause of it is now under investigation.