Bury in the market for a centre-back after departure of William Edjenguele

William Edjenguele

William Edjenguele

First published in Sport by

WILLIAM Edjenguele yesterday became the 13th first-team player to leave Bury in under two months, since the arrival of manager David Flitcroft.

The big French centre-back agreed to the termination of his contract by mutual consent, leaving the JD Stadium after scoring three goals in 23 appearances since his arrival in August.

After a bright start, scoring in his first two games after previous boss Kevin Blackwell brought him to the club on a free transfer from League One Coventry, the 6ft 2in defender fell out of favour with the fans following a number of high-profile mistakes.

And he was eventually dropped by Flitcroft after a poor display in a 2-2 draw at home to Scunthorpe United on Boxing Day.

The Bury manager has since signed five defenders, but admits the departure of Edjenguele could open the door for another new arrival before the transfer window closes tomorrow.

“We would consider bringing in another centre-half, if the right one comes along that would improve us,” said Flitcroft.

“We are also still looking for a left sided player to play as a wing-back, but time is running out.

“One of the players we have been tracking ended up moving to a Championship club this week, so it has been difficult, but we will not stop trying.

“If it means waiting until the loan window re-opens in a week’s time then so be it.

“That would not be the end of the world, as a lot of young talent from Premier League clubs like Manchester United would become available then, so I would be happy to bide my time.”

The 38-year-old manager admits his first couple of months in the job have been harder than expected.

He has managed to move 13 players out of the club – Edjenguele and Marco Navas leaving this week – and has made eight signings so far, with strikers Clive Platt and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, and midfielder Andrew Tutte the latest to join.

“What I really want to do is to concentrate on winning football matches, but I think I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

“It has taken quite a phenomenal effort to move so many players in and out, but we are almost there.”

With only the suspended Danny Mayor currently unavailable, even if Flitcroft fails to bring in any more new faces before the visit of fellow relegation strugglers Wycombe Wanderers this Saturday, the Bury boss is more than happy with his squad.

He said: “I feel we have got the balance right, with seven defenders, seven midfielders and seven or eight attackers. That’s what we were aiming for and I’m delighted with the work we’ve been able to do in such a short space of time.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree