THE turbulent recent weather that has struck our part of the world has understandably created concern over tomorrow’s clash with Bury at Plainmoor.
It has been a considerable frustration to the club that the January clashes with Northampton and Burton were postponed due to waterlogged pitches, and we are doing everything possible to avoid a repeat.
The groundstaff work tirelessly to get every game on and a bright Friday morning in South Devon has allowed some of the problems areas in our pitch to dry out.
As a club, we have been in regular communication with the Football League, match referee for tomorrow, Dave Phillips, and officials from Bury Football Club.
Lee Swabey, who is the assistant referee for tomorrow’s game, visited Plainmoor at 2pm on Friday to conduct an initial pitch analysis and his view was that the surface is complete playable as things stand at present.
The main concern we have is the overnight forecast and the predicted rainfall in the Torbay area, which could be the deciding factor. The match referee is planning to arrive at Plainmoor for 9am on Saturday morning to conduct a full inspection.
In the meantime, Torquay United will continue to do everything possible to get this game on. Along with the rain, it is also forecast to be very windy over the next hours, which could well have a drying effect.
We fully appreciate the uncertainty this creates for our fans travelling long distances to the game, as well as our visitors from Bury but, as a football club, we want to give this game every chance of being played.
However, we would like to reiterate that the final decision lies with the match referee and whether he deems the pitch safe for a game of football.
The Football League are completely supportive of our approach to the process and we will update this website as soon as we have news in the morning.