BURY suffered late heartbreak as they lost 3-2 away to Rotherham.

The Shakers were second best throughout the first half and had to rely on a number of fine saves from Joe Murphy early on.

Kieffer Moore finally broke through to open the scoring for the hosts midway through the first period, but against the run of play Jermaine Beckford equalised to level, the scores 1-1 at half-time.

Moore restored the Millers’ advantage with a fine header after the break – but Cameron’s header pulled them back once again.

As Bury were about to bring on defender Tom Aldred to shut up shop, substitute Richie Towell drilled home the winner with only seconds left on the clock.

Lee Clark was able to name an unchanged side for the first time this season.

After using 27 players in the opening five games, the Shakers boss kept faith with the team which lost 1-0 to Scunthorpe the previous weekend.

Early in the first half Bury were forced to defend deep as the Millers shot out of the blocks.

Murphy was first tested inside four minutes, holding well from Will Vaulks’ low drive.

Richard Wood was then denied by the Irishman from point-blank range. The pick of the stops came in the 12th minute when Ryan Williams’ stinging volley was kept out by a stunning one-handed save.

Beckford alleviated some pressure temporarily when he created a half chance at the other end, but it was easily kept out by Marek Rodak.

Bury could only hold out until the 21st minute when a moment of magic from powerful forward Moore opened the scoring – plucking the ball out of the air before coolly slotting under Murphy.

Jon Taylor had a great chance to double the advantage on 34 minutes when he rounded Murphy but shot into the side netting from an acute angle.

And he would be made to rue that miss further when Beckford headed home an equaliser 30 seconds later from Lowe’s right-wing cross.

The hosts did have one more chance before the break but Ben Purrington could not keep his effort down when he only had the keeper to beat.

When the teams appeared for the second half Clark did not show, instead he sat next to chairman Stewart Day in the upper terrace of the stand. It is unclear if he had been sent off at the break or opted for a higher viewpoint.

Nine minutes after the restart Rotherham’s lead was restored. Taylor got to the touchline on the left side and his cross was headed home by Moore at the back post.

The hosts continued to dominate so the Shakers opted to bring on Bournemouth loanee Mihai Dobre for his debut, as well as forward Michael Smith.

And, unbelievably, Bury drew level again, completely against the run of play.

A free-kick was lofted into the box and headed across goal by Smith, Cameron arriving unmarked to stoop low and head the ball home from close range.

Tricky winger Dobre then stung the palms of Rodak with a low shot from the left.

But as Bury were on the verge of stealing a point, substitute Towell popped up with a dramatic winner to send the Shakers back to Greater Manchester empty handed.