Bury confirm transfer embargo

First published in Shakers Updates by

BURY Football Club have confirmed the Football League has imposed an embargo for registering new players on the Gigg Lane outfit.

A statement, released by the club today, said the embargo was due to the Shakers getting a temporary short-term loan from the PFA until the middle of January.

It is no secret that the club, which is currently third bottom in League One, has struggled to compete financially after moving up to the division last season.

With some of the lowest average home gates in league - they have only broken the 3,000 barrier twice this season – the club has worked hard to fund wages to attract the standard of players capable of keeping them in the division.

Bury’s finances have also been hit by the late postponement of two home matches, against Carlisle earlier in the season and at home to Preston last Tuesday in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy area quarter-final.

The club have still had to pay policing costs for both those games, leaving a big hole in the budget.

The full statement on the club website read: “Bury Football Club can confirm that they are currently under a Football League embargo for registering new players.

“This embargo is a result of the club obtaining a temporary short term loan from the PFA until mid January 2013.

“The club will make a further statement shortly.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:09pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Eileenshakers says...

The finances are going to be stretched to the limit now but in KB we trust.
The finances are going to be stretched to the limit now but in KB we trust. Eileenshakers
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree