When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Danny Hylton tipped for Bury debut
NEW Bury signing Danny Hylton looks set to be handed his debut at Portsmouth today after caretaker boss Ronnie Jepson hinted he could make an immediate start.
The 24-year-old former Aldershot striker arrived at Gigg Lane from League One side Rotherham on Tuesday on a month’s loan.
And while Jepson admits the London-born forward is lacking match fitness, he believes Hylton could provide the goal-shy Shakers with a vital missing ingredient.
“He will chase down everything – he will chase a leaf in the wind,” said Jepson.
“I think we have been lacking a little bit in that regard. He will give us a little bit of something different – something we haven’t had. We need some aggressive running up there.”
Anton Forrester has led the line for Bury so far this season, but while the 19-year-old Blackburn loanee has scored five goals, he has struggled to cope with the physical aspects of a League Two striker’s role.
That has been accentuated in recent weeks, with Forrester being asked to play up front on his own, something Jepson admits may need a re-think.
“We have used Anton a lot this year for a young boy,” said the Shakers temporary manager.
“We’ve been asking him to do things that have been a little bit tough for him.
“It’s his first time playing league football and the kid needs a little bit of help.”
Jepson has hinted that Hylton - who scored 36 goals in 178 appearances for Aldershot but is yet to get off the mark at Rotherham after joining in the summer on a free transfer - will offer Forrester much-needed support, rather than replace him.
“Anton reminds me of Andy Booth, who I played with,” he said.
“He needs someone like myself alongside him to help guide him a long.
“Young Anton has tried his best but he gets bullied a little bit. We’ve been playing with one up top, which maybe hasn’t suited Anton, so we will look to address that.”
But he was also quick to point out that Hylton is not the ultimate solution to Bury’s problems.
Jepson said after last Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at home to Morecambe that the owners may have to release the purse strings in January to buy a big target man after failing to recruit one in the summer.
“You’ve got to be in the market early and the majority of the ones we wanted had gone,” he admitted.
“You have to see what else is around. That’s not being disrespectful to our players because we still haven’t bought a number nine as such.
“All the strikers we have got at the football club would be better off playing with a big lad alongside them.”
Comments are closed on this article.