FIREFIGHTERS have renewed their call for people not to burn household waste after a number of houses were badly damaged in two separate "garden" fires on the same day.

The Bury Times reported on Monday how crews were called to Eldon Street in Bury after a rubbish fire spread to the house.

And it has emerged crews attended a similar fire in neighbouring Bolton earlier the same day which caused a house roof to collapse.

Firefighters were first called to Copthorne Drive in Breightmet, just after nooon, to to reports of someone burning rubbish, which had then got out of control. It is believed the rubbish fire spread to a nearby shed and fencing before spreading to the guttering of three nearby houses. The fire then spread to the roofs of the three properties, causing one to collapse.

Bury Times:

At the height of the fire seven fire engines and an aerial appliance were on the scene. Firefighters spent around four hours tackling the fire.

GMFRS is urging residents not to burn household waste in their gardens because of the risk they pose in spreading to nearby properties.

And just before 3pm to Eldon Street in Bury to reports of a fire involving a quantity of rubbish in a backyard. The rubbish fire is believed to have got out of control and spread to the ground, first and second floor of a nearby property.

Bury Times:

The fire damaged the exterior of the building as well as the kitchen, backdoor and dining room. Three fire engines attended and were on the scene for around one hour.

GMFRS Head of Prevention, Area Manager Paul Fearnhead, said: “These incidents highlight all too clearly the dangers of burning rubbish in your garden. While fortunately nobody was hurt in either fire, they have caused extensive damage to nearby properties.

“We are urging everyone in Greater Manchester to not burn household waste in their gardens because of the risk of the fire spreading. In addition to this, please do make sure you are storing all your waste and recycling safely by following our advice.”

You can find advice on storing waste and recycling safely here: