A CAR garage owner had an unlucky incident on the motorway — when a car he had just bought set on fire.

Mark Stevens had just bought two Astra vans which he was planning to restore, and he was towing them back to his garage in Bolton.

But while he was driving back on the M66, just before junction 1 at Ramsbottom, one of the vehicles set on fire due to an electrical fault.

As a result of the fire, the car had to be written off.

Fire crews from Bury and Ramsbottom attended the incident at about 8pm last night, and were on the scene for about 20 minutes.