TWO men had to be rescued by firefighters after a house fire in Prestwich today.

At 1.40pm, four fire engines from Agecroft, Broughton, Whitefield and Blackley community fire stations were called to a semi-detached property in Sandy Lane, Prestwich, following reports of a fire.

The fire is believed to have been started by a candle falling onto soft furnishings in the conservatory.

Group Manager Carlos Meakin, who was in charge of the incident, said: “On arrival, crews were faced with a well-developed house fire involving the ground floor and conservatory.

“Firefighters forced entry to the property and using breathing apparatus, searched the house rescuing two young men from downstairs. A young woman managed to get herself out of the house before we arrived.”

The three casualties were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics and taken to hospital.

GM Meakin continued: “Crews did an excellent job of rescuing the casualties and containing the fire to the ground floor of the property in such windy conditions.

“Crews would like to remind everyone to be careful when using candles and never leave them unattended.”