A TOASTER left on a hob caused a kitchen fire.

Crews were called to Mather Road, in Bury at about 4.10pm this afternoon after an emergency call was made, by the occupants.

However the family had managed to put the fire out by turning the hob off by the time fire engines arrived at the scene.

Crew manager Martin Scholes said it appeared the hob had been left on or turned on by mistake.

No one suffered any smoke inhalation and the heat damage was confined to the toaster, which was placed on top of a tea towel.

Firefighters advised the family on fire safety and the importance of having working smoke alarms.