A DRIVER had a lucky escape after his car spontaneously burst into flames in a residential Bury street.

The blaze happened in Shaw Street at around 11.20pm yesterday, just minutes after the man had been driving the car.

It is believed that the fire was sparked by an electrical fault in the Renault Megane's engine.

Bury Community Fire Station watch manager Steve Wilcock said: "We were called to a car fire, which was well alight when we got there, and was possibly caused by an electrical fault.

"The driver had been driving the vehicle just 10 minutes earlier and has only had the vehicle for a few months.

"The car is now completely written off, with damage both inside and out.

"The fire brought quite a few people out into the street. It was quite a spectacle.

"We have also had to inform Bury Council as the fire has damaged the road due to the amount of melted plastic."