NEIGHBOURS alerted the fire service after hearing a smoke alarm at the house next door.

The drama happened at 4am on Thursday in Poynton Close in the Pimhole area of Bury.

The elderly male occupant had fallen asleep downstairs after putting a pie in the microwave.

Watch manager at Bury Fire Station, Stephen Wilcock, said: “There was a fog of smoke hanging in the room but the fire had extinguished itself.

“Paramedics gave the occupant a preliminary check and it sounds like he is going to be fine.”

Mr Wilcock added: “I would remind people to avoid cooking late at night, especially if they are feeling tired.”