A 17-YEAR-OLD boy who flirted with and flattered a 13-year-old girl over Snapchat before having sex with her near a motorway was sentenced today.

The offender, Jack Eaves, now 19, of Summerfield Road, Woodhouse Park, Manchester, had started messaging the young girl on Snapchat and on a number of occasions they had gone to secluded areas and engaged in sexual activity.

Judge Mark Savill found Eaves had pressured his victim into sexual intercourse and Manchester Crown Court, Minshull Street heard he was "flattering her, suggesting she wasn't acting her age and she was acting more mature" said Justin Hayhoe for the prosecution.

Mr Hayhoe said Eaves asked the girl to keep their activities a secret.

Eaves was sentenced for four sexual offences with a child: engaging in sexual activity, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, attempted sexual activity and sexual intercourse.

Mr Hayhoe said: "He was under no illusion that what he was doing to [his victim] was illegal."

The court heard how Eaves and the girl had messaged on Snapchat and met up on a number of occasions, including at Bury Cemetery and near the old magistrates' building. Each time Eaves had taken her to a secluded location and engaged in sexual activity and on one occasion tried to have sex with her.

Mr Hayhoe described one occasion when they were in a quiet area, the victim was "reluctant" to engage with Eaves and he became "moody" leading her to eventually agree.

Eaves attempted to have sex with the girl but stopped when she was "in a lot of pain" and they walked home.

Mr Hayhoe said: "[Eaves told her] it was bound to hurt and it was normal."

The court heard Eaves and the girl had gone to the B&Q in Heap Bridge, they went under the M66 motorway bridge and had sex.

After Eaves and the girl had sex the girl "regretted" it and felt it was "wrong". Afterwards the court heard that Eaves lost interest in the girl leaving her feeling "betrayed".

Adam Lodge, defending Eaves noted his previous good character and remorse about the offences.

Mr Lodge said: "There is acceptance it was wrong and he shouldn't have done it."

Mr Lodge noted there had been a significant delay between the time the offences had come to light in July 2017 and the sentencing today.

During that time Mr Lodge told the court Eaves had been chasing police to find out what was happening.

Mr Lodge said the delay had had a "significant impact on him and his mental health".

The court heard that at the time he began messaging the girl he was "immature" and "lonely with few friends" and that since he had "reflected on his behaviour"

When sentencing Eaves Judge Mark Savill said: "She was significantly younger, no doubt wanting to please you."

But acknowledged his "good work record" and his exposure to "unpleasant and disturbing events as a child".

Eaves received an 18 month sentence, suspended for 22 months, a weekend curfew and will have to undertake 150 hours of unpaid work as well as 25 days of rehabilitation activity.

He will be on the sex offenders register for 10 years.