FIRE services have been sharing a warning about charging tablets overnight after a lucky escape for an 11-year-old boy.

The youngster had woken up to find his room covered in a layer of black soot and a hole in his bed after the tablet had burned through his bedding and mattress.

Fortunately, it did not develop into a full fire and had only smouldered throughout the night.

The incident happened in Staffordshire but has been shared by other fire services to encourage residents to be 'mindful' when charging tablets and mobile phones.

Firefighter Brad Robins added: “This family has been greatly shocked by what has happened and it serves as a stark reminder not to leave items charging on materials that could catch fire when hot."

The family had bought the tablet brand new four years ago and it was connected to the correct charger but had become hot while plugged in from 9pm the night before.

It had burnt through bedding and the mattress down to the springs.

Advice from the fire service is to always place phones and tablets on a safe surface when charging.

A spokesman added: "Make sure you buy genuine chargers for your items and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

"Be sure to register your product in case there is a product recall.

"Also ensure that your smoke alarms are working correctly by testing them regularly.

"This building did not have working smoke alarms which may have alerted the family to the incident earlier.”