A HIGH school has been severely damaged just two days after a major protest was staged outside its entrance.

Broad Oak Sports College in Hazel Avenue has been subjected to extensive vandalism after a "group of yobs" allegedly targeted it.

It is understood that several thousand pounds worth of damage has been caused by the incident, which occurred at about 8.30pm last night.

A spokesman for Oak Learning Partnership, the multi-academy trust of which the school is a part, said that the college is currently in discussions with Greater Manchester Police.

A statement is expected to be issued.

On Friday afternoon, hundreds of protestors gathered outside the high school, demanding further investigations into the death of a 12-year-old pupil.

Shukri Abdi drowned in a section of the River Irwell near Dunster Street on Thursday, June 27, with police putting the incident down to a tragic incident.

However, campaigners — including the girl's mother Zamzam Ture — say Shukri was bullied while attending Broad Oak Sports College and have called on the school to investigate further.

They also claim that her death is suspicious, particularly because she could not swim. This has prompted calls for the police to reopen their inquiries.

A spokesman from Broad Oak issued a statement to parents at the school last week to confirm that they would be investigating the family's claims.

Their statement read: "We are currently working with Shukri’s family in respect of any concerns which have been raised about the school. As the school was taken into the Oak Learning Partnership Multi Academy Trust in April of this year, the trust leadership under CEO, Elaine Parkinson, will be reviewing all policies and procedures at the school, in particular we will focus on the schools anti-bullying policy and procedures and other policies relating to the welfare of children. The Trust will ensure they engage with its community and co-produce policies and procedures that are well understood by all."

The Bury Times has approached the college and Greater Manchester Police for comment.