HUNDREDS of people were evacuated from a shopping centre this afternoon following an electrical fault.

The evacuation at The Rock happened shortly after 1.50pm amid fears a consumer unit was at risk of catching fire inside Frankie and Benny's.

The restaurant was evacuated, as well as neighbouring businesses including Vue cinema, Hollywood Bowl and Pizza Express.

Fire crews were seen arriving at the scene minutes later.

A spokesman for The Rock said that Frankie and Benny's had since remained closed, although the other businesses had been allowed to reopen.

The Rock tweeted: "The leisure block at the The Rock was evacuated for a short time this afternoon (Weds 14th August) due to a suspected electrical fault in one unit.

"This block has now reopened. Frankie and Benny's remains closed for the time being."

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were called to Frankie and Benny's shortly after 1.50pm.

"There was a smell of smoke coming from a consumer unit.

"We have handed it over to Electricity North West."