A RESIDENT was taken to hospital after trying to extinguish a fire in their kitchen.

The individual sustained burns to their right hand after trying to put out a pan of food, which had set alight after being left unattended.

An ambulance and fire crew from Bury were called to a house in Hornby Street, Bury, shortly after 5pm yesterday. The blaze was out by the time firefighters arrived.

A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) said: "We were called to a fire in Hornby Street.

"We sent an ambulance to the scene.

"We took a patient to Fairfield General Hospital."

Fire crews will be carrying out free Safe and Well visits in the area, offering safety advice and fitting free smoke alarms. To book a visit, call 0800 555 815.