FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to ensure they have a working smoke alarm after a fire ripped through a kitchen on Saturday.

Crews were called to Whittaker Avenue after a chip pan overheated.

The resident was taken to hospital as a precaution after being alerted to the fire by the smoke.

Watch Manager Tony Wellock said crews tackled the fire, which damaged the kitchen and filled the house with thick black smoke.

Crews used a positive pressure ventilator to clear the house of smoke

He urged people not to use chip pans.

Since the incident, firefighters have been carrying out safe and well visits in the area to give advice in case of a fire and, if necessary, fit smoke alarms.

Crews were on the scene for an hour.