Firefighters were called out to a fire this afternoon after blaze in a kitchen. 

Crews were called to a home on Robert Street in Elton after a fire sparked by an unattended pan of fluid broke out at around 12.20pm.

Firefighter Keith Hadley said: "We were called out after a fire broke out on the cooker.

"We came in, turned the electricity off and took the cooker outside. There was some minor smoke damage to the property."

Crews were on the scene for around 20 minutes.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service say that over half of accidental fires start because of something to do with cooking.

For cooking safety advice, visit: https://manchesterfire.gov.uk/staying-safe/what-we-do/fire-safety-at-home/