A DRUNK who molested and assaulted paramedics and security staff has been jailed for 12 months.

Muhammad Ashraf, 38, who had been found collapsed in the street after downing a bottle of whisky, groped a female paramedic, grabbing her bottom, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

Ashraf then offered to fight a second paramedic, the court was told, and when he was taken to Fairfield General he continued to be aggressive and was abusive to security guards there.

Police were called and he was violent towards them. He squeezed a security guard's hand tightly and refused to let go, the court heard.

He was arrested and taken to a police station custody area, where he kicked out a a police officer, injuring his leg.

Weeks later, after being released on bail, he was found in a similar state, and again molested a paramedic who was trying to come to his aid, the court heard.

The Bury Times has highlighted the number of medics who have been assaulted at Fairfield General in recent weeks.

One Whitefield man was given a suspended prison sentence and another Prestwich man was jailed for similar behaviour.

Security bosses from the Northern Care Alliance have stressed that they will continue to support staff facing violence from disruptive patients.

Kath Johnson, prosecuting, said the first set of incidents took place on January 17 and the second set of matters occurred on March 30.

Interviewed about the offences on both occasions, Ashraf insisted he had little recollection of the incidents due to his drunken state.

Roger Brown, defending, said his client's marriage had broken up and he had just been released from a temporary job at JD Sports.

Mr Brown said: "This is someone who got himself so drunk that he was effectively incapable".

He told the court that the defendant, who would lose his accommodation if he lost his liberty, was capable of being rehabilitated in the community.

Ashraf, of Lowther Road, Rochdale, pleaded guilty to two offences of sexual assault, five charges of assaulting an emergency worker and being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

Jailing him, Judge Maurice Greene said: "Paramedics and police officers have every right to expect to go about their duties without the fear of being attacked by people who cannot control their drinking".

The judge said the "catalogue of offending" and the aggravating features, including the sexual assault on a paramedic in a confined space, it must be immediate custody. Ashraf was also told he must sign the sex offenders register for seven years.