A PUBLIC inquiry into the deaths of 22 at the hands of suicide bomber Salman Abedi has been told of the final moments of the victims - including Bury schoolgirl Olivia Campbell-Hardy.

Fifteen-year-old Olivia, a Tottington High student, had attended the Ariana Grande concert with a friend, with the tickets being a Christmas present.

Paul Greaney QC, counsel to the inquiry, told the inquiry Olivia loved singing and music.

And as the pair left the concert through the foyer her friend asked what her favourite song had been.

He said she was stood just five metres from Abedi, who exploded his device before she could answer.

The inquiry heard that at 10.45pm, a police officer and first aider attended to her but she showed no signs of life and a poster was used to cover her body.

A post-mortem examination confirmed she died of multiple injuries which were not survivable.

Earlier the inquiry heard that a desperate 999 call was made by eyewitness Ronald Blake, who was trying to help John Atkinson, from Radcliffe.

Mr Blake rang within seconds of the blast as he tried to comfort Mr Atkinson and alert the emergency services, the hearing was told.

"There's been an explosion at Manchester Arena, in the foyer," Mr Blake told a 999 call handler.

"There's loads injured. It's manic. Big explosion. I'm with a man now that's injured."

Mr Blake is then heard telling Mr Atkinson: "Alright mate. Don't try moving."

He returns to the call handler: "There's about 30, 40 injured. I'm with a man that's seriously injured. His legs really pumping."

Mr Blake, who was at the arena to pick up his daughter after the Ariana Grande show that night, was advised on the call to apply a tourniquet and keep on the line.

Some relatives of those who died wiped away tears or held hands to their faces as the call was played at the inquiry hearing room. Mr Atkinson's family excused themselves from hearing the call.

Paul Greaney QC, counsel to the inquiry, said Mr Blake's conduct "showed the best of our community".

But the call also raised questions about the response of the emergency services, the hearing was told, in particular the response of North West Ambulance Service (NWAS).

Mr Greaney said the call, "literally seconds" after the explosion, alerted the emergency services to mass casualties and whether NWAS responded speedily and appropriately will have to be considered by the inquiry.

The first paramedic only arrived on scene 19 minutes after the blast. The hearing was told only two more paramedics were ever deployed, 20 minutes later, to treat the injured in the City Rooms.

Abedi, 22, detonated his shrapnel-packed home-made bomb at 10.31pm on May 22, 2017 as hundreds of youngsters left the pop concert, many to meet parents waiting in the foyer to collect them. His brother Hashem was jailed for life last month with a minimum 55 years before parole for his part in the plot.

Sir John Saunders is chairing the public inquiry, expected to run into spring 2021, which will look at events before, during and after the bombing, including the role of the emergency services.