AN electrical fire caused by a leak broke out at a cafe at Fairfield General Hospital in Bury this morning, Sunday.

Three fire engines were sent to the Rochdale Old Road site's Broadoak Suite at around 9.30am where the premises was filled with smoke.

Crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke and a thermal imaging camera to search for the source of the blaze.

It was found that water had leaked into electrics due to a defective ballcock in the header tank in the roof space.

Firefighters worked with the hospital's facilities staff to make the scene safe as well as ensuring that other essential hospital services could function at the same time.

Bury Fire Station watch manager Steve Wilcock added: "The hospital responded very responsibly and evacuated the site.

"They were very professional."

No-one was injured in the incident.

The fire service were at the hospital until around 11.30am.