BURY is home to a considerable sporting pedigree, and from football and cricket to cycling and boxing the boroughs teams and athletes have made their names known throughout the decades on regional and national stages.

One of the oldest sports clubs in the borough, and indeed in all of the Greater Manchester area, is the Prestwich Cricket, Tennis and Bowling Club.

This year marks the clubs astonishing 180th anniversary.

Although it is now a multi-sport concern, the club was first founded in 1840 as a cricket section.

Its first ground was said to have been at Thatch Leach Lane ­— although according to the National Archives there is no certain evidence of this.

The following decade the club relocated a short distance to Diggles Hill, until the ground was purchased by the Manchester Corporation in 1862 for the construction of a new reservoir.

In need of another new home, the club moved to Stacks Meadow in the heart of what is now Prestwich Village and presently occupied by Highfield Road.

It was here that a tennis section was first introduced and six grass courts were created in circa 1891.

Above is an incredible photograph taken of the founding members of the club's tennis section, captured in 1897.

Photographed is the honourable secretary of 1893, John Walker, who stands second from the right on the back row.

Also visible in the picture, sitting on the ground in the front row, is Charlie Feldon, who at that time was the Racquets Champion of England.

Another notable name from this era of the club is its first cricket coach, Dan Rowland, from Bury.

He was employed by the club from 1882 and was a renowned fast bowler in his day, at a time when balls were still delivered underarm.

Into the new century the club relocated once again, this time to The Heys where it has remained ever since.

Alongside the cricket ground, five new grass tennis courts were made and a pavilion was erected at a cost of £120.

A bowling green was added in 1914 and with that the club acquired its present name.

That year also brought the advent of the First World War and many male club members signed up to serve King and country.

According to club historian Alan Michaelovitz: "The First world war depleted the male membership but the club was kept a live by the lady members."

"World War One saw the tragic loss of numerous club members, and the 2nd XI was virtually wiped out," fellow club historian Steve Orrell added.

"Mr Joseph Rostern created a fund in memory of his own son, Lieutenant Norman Rostern, who was killed on March 28, 1918.

"The award is still proudly presented today."

After the war, in the 1920s, the club added four new shale tennis courts.

The first two were inaugurated in 1925 and the first ball was served by the then club president's wife, Mrs Arthur Walkden.

Exhibition matches followed featuring Davis Cup and international player Max Woosnam.

In the years leading up to the Second World War Prestwich became a founder member of the Manchester and District Lawn Tennis League, in which 40 clubs competed until 1940.

But once again the conflict called many men from their homes to fight overseas and it fell to the lady members to keep the club going.

During the war lady members would even roll the courts and paint the pavilions, Mr Michaelovitz noted.

Tennis members Mrs J.F. Wilson and Mrs M.E.T. Kershaw also stepped in as secretaries, Mr Orrell added.

In 1947 they were made the first lady life members of the club in recognition of their efforts.

During the 1950s the club played host to a major annual contest against Manchester United which drew huge crowds.

But following the Munich Air Disaster the event was cancelled and has not returned since.

The later half of the 20th century saw several periods of redevelopment and remodelling at the club.

Seating for 300 spectators was created in 1962 and in the late 1980s land formerly used as a football pitch was sold to finance a new brick pavilion and clubhouse.

This was opened in 1991 by West Indies cricketing legend Clive Lloyd.

Since then Prestwich has added three new floodlit tennis courts; new changing rooms, and refurbished and extended it clubhouse to included a new members’ lounge.

The early 2000s also saw football became the fourth sport to be played at the club, which now boasts several teams of varying age groups.