AN argument between two brothers over the sale of their parent's house ended in one pulling a knife on the other, a court heard.

Zafar Saif, 49, of Langdale Drive, Bury, stabbed his brother in the hand before chasing him into the street where he took refuge in a neighbour's property.

At Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, Helena Williams, prosecuting, said that around 8.30pm on Saturday, January 9 this year, Omar Yunus and his brother were at his parent's home in Bury when a row broke out.

Ms Williams said: "The defendant had been in and out of the house a couple of times speaking with the complainant’s father.

"At some point during the evening, the defendant has approached the complainant in an angry manner, upset about some money deposited into his father’s bank account. The defendant told the complainant that the money he had deposited into the account was gone and accused the complainant of having taken it.

"The defendant became more and more irate, with the complainant telling him he didn’t know what was going on and asking the defendant to calm down. The complainant was becoming worried about the defendant’s demeanour, he was clearing getting more and more angry and was losing his temper.

"The defendant then started to throw things around the room, whilst shouting at the same time. He snatched the complainant’s phone from him and threw it against the wall, as well as throwing a computer and keyboard onto the floor. The defendant continued to shout, whilst the complainant tried to calm him down. The complainant even suggested the defendant punch him 'to get it over with'.

"The defendant responded by saying he was going to kill him."

The court heard that Saif went into the kitchen and returned with a knife before shouting and threatening Mr Yunus, telling him to get out of the house.

"The complainant didn't know what to do and feared that the defendant was going to stab him," said Ms Williams. "The complainant backed away to the patio door hoping to get away through the door. The complainant was pleading with his brother telling him to put the knife down, he'd lost control and was trying to get him to see reason.

"As the complainant got through the patio door by backing away, the defendant has lunged at him with the knife. The complainant recalls putting his left hand up and it being cut, he shouted at the defendant and showed him what he had done."

Mr Yunus ran to a neighbour's house across the road where he was able to shelter and police officers were called.

Ian McMeekin, defending, said Saif and his brother were "dedicated" to their elderly parents but the defendant admitted he had "gone too far" on the night of the incident.

The brothers had since reconciled and Saif had now moved in with his parents to assist Mr Yunus.

"Whatever went on between the walls in that house nothing justifies this conduct," said Mr McMeekin, who added that Saif performed a "staggering" amount of volunteer work in the community.

Judge Paul Lawton said: "I am prepared to treat this as a serious aberration and that this amounted to a momentary lack of self control.

"You can see for yourself in the attitude of your family the meaning of tolerance, forgiveness, acceptance and love which your family have displayed to you in spades.

"Your family need you as much as you need them and while you let them down I hope this can act as some kind of closure.

"You are on of life's giver and there are not many who stand in that dock who we see who are like that - most of them are life's takers and I am particularly impressed by what you do for the local community with you fundraising work."

Judge Lawton handed Saif, who pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and criminal damage, a 15 month sentence suspended for two years with 15 days of a rehabilitation activity requirement.

"I am fairly sure I won't be seeing you again," added Judge Lawton.