A FAMILY has paid a touching tribute to a well-known Bury property developer who tragically died in a road traffic collision at the age of just 54.

Brendan Kiely died in Lytham, where he was living after being hit by a car as a pedestrian on a rural road.

Paramedics pronounced Mr Kiely, dead at the scene.

His childrenHarrison, Elli and Anya paid tribute to Mr Kiely on social media.

They said: "It is with heavy hearts and deep sadness that we share the tragic news that our beloved father, Brendan was involved in a fatal accident on April 1st 2021.

"He passed away at around 9pm.

"As a family, we would like to thank everybody for their kind words and condolences. We are still very much in shock and we are working together to get through this shocking and devastating time.

"We will never forget you dad, may you rest in peace. We will love you forever and we’ll make you proud! You were one in a billion."

Mr Kiely, was a property magnate who was behind Darwen-based Berkshire Homes, which completed housing projects in Woodlands View, Bacup, and Kandel Place, Whitworth; and in 2014, began renovating Holme Hall, in Burnley Road, Cliviger, which had been empty for more than a decade.

And he was well-known in Bury, especially the Ramsbottom area.

His son Harrison followed in his father's footsteps and was appointed director of the company.

A obituary notice placed in The Bury Times stated: "Taken far too early for someone who lived life and had so much to give. We are jealous of the angels for they have you with them now. Miss you already Never forgotten"

Tributes left on The Bury Times website to Mr Kiely read: "Sincerest condolences to Brendan’s family. Taken far too soon. Great memories of such a lovely, generous and funny man. Thank you for the laughter Brendan. Rest peacefully in the knowledge that you will always be remembered."

And "So incredibly shocked and sorry to hear of the sad passing of Brendan. My sincere and heartfelt condolences to everyone."

The accident happened on Ballam Road, where Mr Kiely was living at the time and police launched an appeal for witnesses.

The road was closed for six hours following the incident so that collision investigation could take place.

Sgt Martin Wilcock, of Tac Ops, said at the time: “This collision has very sadly resulted in a man losing his life and my thoughts are with his family and friends at this time."

An inquest into Mr Kiely's death will take place in August.