A round -up of cases heard in court recently

A MAN caught riding an unregistered electric scooter on Manchester Road, Bury, on July 2 last year has been convicted of careless driving. Benjamin Miller, aged 28, of Bolton Road, Bury, had denied committing the crime and a string of other road offences but did not turn up to court and was found guilty in his absence. As well as careless driving, Miller was convicted of having no licence or insurance, not wearing protective headgear, having no MoT or registration plates for the vehicle and failing to provide a blood specimen for analysis. He was sentenced to do 240 hours of unpaid work plus 25 days of rehabilitation activities. He was also was banned from applying for a driving licence for two years.

A BURY teenager has been convicted of robbing a man of an iPhone in Newport Street on January 7 last year. The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denied committing the offence but was convicted after a trial. He was sentenced to a detention and training order for two years with magistrates telling the youth that it was so serious that only detention could be justified. “This was a planned, unprovoked group attack,” they stated. “There was permanent scarring and psychological harm. The victim was subjected to a horrendous attack which involved kicking on the floor.”

MAGISTRATES have ordered a van driver to do 100 hours of unpaid work after he was caught using a phone whilst behind the wheel and failed to provide police with a breath sample. Azhar Iqbal, aged 50, of Victoria Street, Radcliffe, was in a Mercedes Sprinter van on Rochdale Old Road, Bury, on January 26 when he committed the offences. He pleaded guilty to careless driving, driving whilst using a hand-held phone and failing to provide a breath sample. He was banned from driving for two years and must participate in 15 days of rehabilitation activities.

A DRIVER who failed to provide a breath specimen for police has been banned from holding a licence for 12 months. Joseph Towers, aged 38, of Ludlow Avenue, Whitefield, admitted committing the offence on May 13. In addition to the driving ban, Towers was fined £120.

A MAN who made threats to two women has been given a suspended prison sentence. Lewis Morris, aged 27, of Milford Drive, Bury, made threats to carry out a shooting and persistently contacted one of the victims. Morris pleaded guilty to harassment and sending a malicious communication but was spared jail because he has no previous convictions and magistrates decided there was a realistic prospect of rehabilitation. He was sentenced to 14 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months, must participate in a building better relationships programme and undertake 20 days of rehabilitation activities. He was also ordered to pay his victims a total of £450 in compensation.

A SHOPLIFTER has been banned from any B and M Bargains stores after he repeatedly stole items. Magistrates heard how Christopher Mather, aged 44, of Brunswick Street, Bury, stole a vacuum cleaner, worth £90, on March 21 before taking 14 jars of coffee on April 5 and two bottles of Jack Daniels on April 20. He was ordered to have treatment for drug addiction for nine months and must participate in a thinking skills programme for 21 days. He must also pay £20 in compensation to the shop.

MAGISTRATES have jailed a man for 23 weeks after he assaulted two women and used threatening behaviour towards a police officer on April 12. Rhys Warburton, aged 25, of Padiham Close, Radcliffe, initially denied committing the assaults but changed his plea to guilty. Warburton, who was told he had “a flagrant disregard for people and their property”, was ordered to pay his victims a total of £450 in compensation.

A TEENAGER who robbed a person of a hat and bag in Bury on August 20 last year has been referred to the youth offender panel for nine months. The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to committing the offence and after also ordered to pay £50 in compensation to his victim.

A DRIVER caught illegally plying for hire without a taxi licence in Deansgate, Manchester on September 14, 2019 has been fined £235. Masaud Pervez, aged 65, of Halvard Avenue, Bury, pleaded guilty to committing the offence and having no valid insurance.

MAGISTRATES have fined a man £660 after he failed to name the driver of a Mercedes to police on December 22 last year. The case against Ali Asghar, aged 70, of Brierley Street, Bury, was proved.

A MAN caught driving a car without a licence or insurance has been fined £880. Shane Leith, aged 32, of Coomassie Street, Radcliffe, drove a Skoda Fabia on Radcliffe Road, Bury, on November 21 last year.

MAGISTRATES have fined Carlton Richardson, aged 28, of Halliwell Road, Prestwich, £513 after he admitted driving a Ford Fiesta on Littleton Road, Salford, on January 24 without a licence or insurance.

A WOMAN has been fined £660 after she drove a Citroen DS3 in Deansgate, Radcliffe, without insurance on November 20 last year. Magistrates found the case against Samantha Travis, aged 43, of Woodley Avenue, Radcliffe, proved.