A SHOOTING victim who had discharged himself from hospital, climbed into a car and careered along the wrong side of a dual carriageway, forcing other drivers to swerve out of the way.

Curtis Morgan eventually collided with another vehicle and fencing and tried to make a getaway, but was found unconscious nearby.

Bolton Crown Court heard how Morgan, also known as Curtis Francis, almost died after being shot on July 12, 2019.

The 30-year-old was attacked outside the Outline Health and Fitness Centre in Lever Street, Bolton and the court heard that the gunman has never been found.

Morgan appeared in the dock on crutches, still severely injured from the incident, as Harriet Lavin, prosecuting, told how police saw a Mercedes on Bury New Road, Bolton, on September 19, 2019.

"It was driving on the wrong side of the road, swerving between oncoming traffic causing them to have to stop or move out of the way," she said.

When the Mercedes attempted to turn right at the junction with Radcliffe Moor Road it collided with the rear of a BMW.

Morgan lost control of the Mercedes and it smashed though a fence, coming to rest in the grounds of Radcliffe Masonic Hall.

"The defendant made off on foot and was found nearby. He had collapsed and was unconscious," said Miss Lavin.

The Mercedes was a hire car, which had not been rented by Morgan and who had no driving licence or insurance. He was taking large amounts of prescription medication at the time.

"He shouldn't have been anywhere near a vehicle," conceded Andrew Costello, defending.

"He had been in hospital in the lead up to this incident taking place. He discharged himself due to the paranoia he was labouring under at that point. His mental health in the immediate aftermath of being shot was in a poor state."

Morgan, of Bolton Road, Bury, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and having no licence or insurance.

The Honorary Recorder of Bolton, Judge Martin Walsh, heard that Morgan has several convictions including a suspended sentence for affray imposed in March 2019. While on remand in prison for that offence he was attacked by another prisoner using sugar in boiling water.

Mr Costello said Morgan now does voluntary work with young people, trying to keep them out of trouble.

Morgan wiped away tears as Mr Costello told how, after being shot, he was not expected to live.

"It is quite clear he has suffered life-changing injuries which have affected him, demonstrably, physically," said Mr Costello.

"One of the greatest challenges he is facing is the mental impact of the shooting upon him — the fear he lives under knowing the offenders who shot him have never been brought to justice has weighed heavily."

Sentencing him to 42 weeks in prison, suspended for two years, Judge Walsh told Morgan he had narrowly avoided going immediately to jail and was in the "last chance saloon".

"If this defendant offends again in breach of a suspended sentence, the issues that occurred in prison last time will not save him from going to prison again," he said.

As part of his sentence Morgan is subject to an 8pm to 6am curfew for 12 weeks and must participate in 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

He was banned from driving for four years after which he must take an extended driving test.