A YOUNG father claims he 'lost control' when he broke his five week old son's leg while changing him.

The 22-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, initially told doctors and police officers, he had hurt the baby's leg accidentally while changing him at a house in Radcliffe.

But he later admitted he had twice "lost control" and injured his son, causing multiple fractures to the baby's leg and feet.

At Minshull Street Crown Court, Thomas Sherrington, prosecuting, described that on September 20, 2019, the baby was taken to his parent's GP with a leg injury with the doctor advising them to take him to North Manchester General Hospital that same day.

Following examinations and x-rays, the baby was found to have a suspected fracture to the right femur and a fracture to the tibia.

Mr Sherrington said: "The initial explanation from the defendant was not satisfactory enough to allay any safeguarding concerns about how the baby had come to these injuries.

"He said on September 18 he had been changing the baby when he heard a popping sound and following this the baby had become more unsettled than usual and was crying if his leg was touched."

Social services and police officers were called and the parents were interviewed at Bury Police Station.

The defendant later admitted he had been dishonest and said he had "suffered a momentary loss of control due to stress" on two occasions, with the first being two weeks before the baby was taken to hospital.

"On this occasion he squeezed the baby's feet with a great deal of force," said Mr Sherrington. "On the second occasion, he was changing him when he bent both legs towards the baby's chin with force which was when he heard the popping sound and immediately went into a state of panic".

Mr Sherrington said the defendant had expressed remorse for his actions and spoke about he had been punishing himself and thinking about suicide.

His relationship with the baby's mother had also broken down following the incident although she was keen for him to still have access to his son.

Mr Sherrington added that the baby had suffered 12 injuries in total to his legs and feet but had now made a full recovery and was walking without any concerns.

Andrew Evans, defending, said the defendant, now living in Whitefield, who pleaded guilty to two counts of causing grievous bodily harm, was "a very young father" who was aged 20 at the time of the offences.

"He is a vulnerable individual who suffers from an anxiety disorder," said Mr Evans.

"The pressure to be a good father bore down on him when he committed these offences.

"He is reclusive, works at home and his only leisure time is spent socially isolated in that room gaming."

Passing sentence, Judge Angela Nield, said the defendant, who had no previous convictions, posed no risk to the public.

"You are a good candidate for rehabilitation," she said.

"Your personal difficulties cannot be overstated and this is an offence characterised by a loss of temper - it is not a deliberate, insidious or vicious act.

"The public will be rightly repulsed, offended and outraged by these acts against a vulnerable child but they will also recognise the factors of mitigation and the balance to be struck."

Judge Nield imposed a 20 month prison sentence, suspended for two years with the 22-year-old also ordered to complete 30 rehabilitation requirement days and carry out 280 hours of unpaid work.