The fire service rushed to a house last night to a fire in a bedroom.

Three fire engines from Bury and Whitefield fire stations were called to a property in Cross Lane, Radcliffe, around 10pm last night (August 24).

The fire is said to have been started by candles left unattended and too close to curtains which spread in the rest of the room.

Whitefield fire station watch manager Robertson said: "The fire wasn't too bad and didn't spread out of the bedroom.

"It was caused by candles being left unattended and and too close to the window curtains and blinds.

"The residents was alerted by the smoke alarms and called the fire service so not too much damage was caused. Some of the furniture was affected by the fire.

"We were at the incident for around an hour with three fire engines in attendance."