The owner of a historic hall which has stood in Bury for more than 300 years hopes to fund its restoration by building three new homes elsewhere on the site.

Grade II listed Lower Chesham Hall, which has stood in Chesham Crescent, Bury, for 308 years, needs urgent restoration.

The property was built in 1713 by Richard Kay of Baldingstone, who was the cousin of the inventor of the ‘flying shuttle’ cotton technology, John Kay.

Documents submitted by applicant David Garvey to Bury Council this week, outline his proposals for a ‘cross-funding’ project of new development and refurbishment of the hall.

The documents state: “The hall is currently on the Historic England Heritage at risk register.

“The proposal comprises the residential redevelopment of part of the south eastern section of Chesham Hall grounds.

“The resultant development is intended to release funds to cross-fund renovation of Chesham Hall which is currently in drastic need of repair.

“In summary the proposal comprises a short and staggered terrace of three dwellings, served by a communal parking area and set within landscaped gardens.”

The homes would be two-storeys and have three bedrooms.

Part of the hall on the Chesham Crescent frontage has previously been converted and extended into Brookdale Care Home, which is of more modern design.

The restoration work to the hall would include repairs to chimneys, roof, pointing, lead work, gutters windows and doors externally.

Internally a scheme of redecoration and refurbishment to areas of damp and decay would also be done.

A significance assessment about the hall, said: “The current building was built on the site of an earlier ‘great old timbered house’, apparently known

as Chesham Fold, which was demolished in 1713.

“This would be in the period of the growth in prosperity of Bury, associated with the early stages of the Industrial Revolution.”

Some of the timbers from the previous house were used in the construction of the first dissenting chapel at Bury.

In 1920 the western half of Lower Chesham was sold to the church and converted to St Paul’s Institute Church Hall.

The institute had a lounge, a library and a kitchen as well as facilities for snooker, table tennis, tennis, billiards and a large function room for parish events.

It now constitutes part of a care home which has later built.

Planners at Bury Council will decide on the plans in the next few weeks.