THE wife of a father-of-four - whose family alerted emergency services to his mental health problems - has spoken out ahead of an inquest into his death.

Brian Alex Reynolds, known as Alex, 39, was found dead at his home in Bury on March 9.

Family and friends say they called emergency services twice that day to tell them Alex was suicidal.

Alex’s family believe there were a number of failings from the police and ambulance service before his death.

His wife Vicky is also not happy about how they were treated in the aftermath of his death.

She said she was not informed Alex had left a note, requesting to be buried with family photographs, leading to him being cremated instead, and police failing to visit her on the night of his death.

Vicky, who had been with Alex for 26 years, said: “I have been left completely devastated by the loss of Alex. I now have four children to raise alone.

“They have all been absolutely incredible in the way they have dealt with everything and I feel extremely proud of them all. However, it is clear they will be significantly affected by this for the rest of their lives.

“I truly believe, if the ambulance or police had got to Alex in time that day, he would have got better from this. Our family has been through a terrible ordeal, an ordeal we shall never recover from.

“The additional confusion from the initial failings, the lack of police contact and the fact the note and photos were never mentioned or provided to me for nine weeks has taken a huge toll on my mental health and that of my children as we can never have complete closure.”

She will now be seeking answers when Alex’s inquest resumes at Rochdale Coroner’s Court on December 15.

Vicky added: “To the outside world Alex was a comedian, confident and charismatic. On the inside he was fighting a battle I could not fix. He needed professional help, treatment and time, something he did not receive enough of.

“Alex loved us and would do anything for his children. He was so proud of them and he used to say they are our greatest achievement.

“Losing Alex has been utterly heart-breaking. Dealing with his loss, learning of the failings and not fulfilling his final wishes due to the incompetence of the police has been so difficult, not just for me but our children.”

Alex was only discharged from in-patient mental health services 11 days before his death. He was admitted to the Irwell Unit at Fairfield General February 3 and had spent three weeks there before being discharged.

Elizabeth Davies. a specialist clinical negligence solicitor at law firm JMW is dealing with the inquest on behalf of Vicky and investigating a case for medical negligence against North West Ambulance Service (NWAS), police and Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust.

She said: “This is a truly harrowing case. Alex was previously a happy and successful man but after suffering some health problems and the loss of his job during lockdown he hit a downward spiral.

“This is a situation that almost anyone could face so it’s extremely concerning that when he reached crisis point the emergency services did not respond appropriately.”