A fire broke out at a garage that started in a sauna last night, Tuesday, with firefighters from three stations rushed to the scene.

Crews arrived on Irwell Street, Radcliffe at around 7.10pm on Tuesday night where they found a blaze under way in a garage that was part of a detached house.

The fire had started in a sauna kept in the garage that spread due to boxes being stored there.

A fire and rescue service spokesperson said: “They were using it for storage and it was full of boxes that caught fire.

“The damage was contained to the garage luckily because they did what they had to do and kept the doors shut.”

Three fire engines from Whitefield, Bury and Broughton stations were called and the firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control within two hours.

The crews had made the scene safe and were able to return to their stations by around 9.10pm.

No injuries have been reported as a result of the fire and no further damage to the house or any other nearby buildings was caused.

Firefighters advised members of the public to always contact them by calling 999 in an emergency.