A DAD died after ‘fighting’ a long battle with alcohol and drugs, an inquest heard.

Cleaner Michael Wheeler, was found dead at his home in of Chapel Court, Ainsworth Road, Radcliffe, on January 22 by a police officer after concerns for his welfare were received.

An inquest in Rochdale heard that paramedics were called but could not revive him.

There was no sign of a disturbance and Mr Wheeler was not injured.

Rochdale Coroner’s Court heard that Mr Wheeler, a 34-year-old father-of-one, had been treated by his GP for treatment for drugs and alcohol use and was receiving medication for his alcohol consumption.

His mother, Karen Raggett, told how Mr Wheeler had moved back home and then into his own flat after a relationship with the mother of his daughter broke down in 2018.

She described her son as “a grafter” who worked for several years at Tesco and Home Bargains.

“He always liked challenging himself and tried to keep fit and healthy,” she added.

Ms Raggett described how Mr Wheeler tried to combat his drink and drugs problems, receiving counselling, attending sessions for alcohol and substance misuse and was referred to mental health services.

She told how her son, at first, refused to believe he had a problem.

“He didn’t believe he was a drinker, and said he wasn’t like them,” she said.

“He came round and broke down in tears and said, ‘I have got a problem with drinking and taking drugs.’”

Senior forensic toxicologist, Julie Evans told the inquest that, at the time of his death, Mr Wheeler had taken several drugs including MDMA and cocaine.

Pathologist Dr Emil Salmo stated that death was caused by combined drug toxicity, mainly involving MDMA, as well as fatty liver disease, a consequence of the long term use of alcohol.

Recording a conclusion that Mr Wheeler died an alcohol and drugs related death, assistant coroner Matthew Cox said: “I believe that the evidence heard from reports brings me to find the conclusion.

“There is no evidence that he intended the consequences of his actions.

“I want to pass on my condolences to the family and to anybody else who knew Michael.”