A man who was arrested on suspicion of arson has been bailed after a fire broke out at a home in Whitefield on Saturday night.

Emergency services, police and fire services were called just before midnight following reports of a fire on Melrose Close.

Fire services say that the occupier of the house was not in at the time.

The property was left wrecked following the devastating blaze.

Bury Times: The fire on Saturday nightThe fire on Saturday night (Image: Public)

At the weekend, a Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said: “At around 12am on Sunday, officers were called to reports of a fire at an address on Melrose Close in Whitefield, Bury.

“A 59-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and remains in police custody for questioning.”

Bury Times: The aftermath of the fireThe aftermath of the fire (Image: Newsquest)

Bury Times: Police officers in attendance after the firePolice officers in attendance after the fire (Image: Newsquest)

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Services (GMFRS), police, the crime scene investigation unit, along with fire investigation officers were in attendance before the incident was “scaled down”.

A GMFRS spokesperson added: “Just before midnight on Saturday July 30, fire crews were called to reports of a fire at a home on Melrose Close, Whitefield.

“Five fire engines and a hydraulic platform appliance from across Greater Manchester were mobilised to the incident.

“The fire began in an outbuilding and quickly spread to the roof space and first floor of the home.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used four jets and a high-pressure lance to extinguish the fire.

“The occupier was out of the house prior to crews’ arrival.

“Working with Greater Manchester Police and North West Ambulance Service, firefighters helped temporarily evacuate nearby properties and check on the welfare of neighbours.

“The incident has been scaled down, but GMFRS crews and fire investigation officers remain at the scene.”

This morning, Wednesday, GMP has confirmed that the man who was arrested has been bailed "pending further enquiries".