Two men will now serve time behind bars for placing an explosive device on a doorstep in Bury.

Shaun Offlands, 29, of Esmond Street, Liverpool was sentenced to five years for possessing an explosive device and Lee O’Shea, 31, of Apsley Road, Liverpool was sentenced to four years for possessing an explosive device.

On September 29, 2022, the two men travelled from Merseyside to Manchester specifically to Randale Drive, Unsworth.

Around 9pm the Grenade was placed on the doorstep of an address and they both left the area on the motorcycle.

Read more: Man sentenced after threatening mum with knife

Two people walking past witnessed the men suspiciously pull up and drop off the item, alerted a neighbour, and together they knocked on the door to notify the resident.

Police attended and a cordon was put in place as a safety precaution with a number of properties evacuated.

The Army's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) took the item away for assessment and subsequently conducted a controlled explosion.

The item was confirmed as an unofficial, yet viable grenade known as a 'Warrington Grenade' made up of a black metal body, and plastic fly-up lever and was filled with approximately 100 grams of firework composition.

Forensic evidence found on the grenade identified Offlands and he was arrested on the October 7, 2022 in Merseyside.

Read more: Council 'not going to change Bury Market winning formula' amid plans

A further digital media investigation involving officers extensively analysing mobile phones, as well as CCTV footage and ANPR checks unravelled O’Shea’s involvement.

O'Shea was arrested at his home address in Merseyside on October 29, 2022.

Offlands denied his involvement and O'Shea made no comment when interviewed.

Both men were charged and remanded in custody until sentencing at court today (Friday).

Read more: Three charged over disorder at Burnley FC vs Manchester City

Detective Constable Nathan Lilley from GMP’s Bury Borough said: “This deliberate act of inflicting fear and terror on a person and the community is despicable.

"The victim was home alone, where he should have felt most safe and secure, when they placed a grenade on his doorstep, putting him and others at serious risk of harm.

“We would like to thank the victim for his bravery, and the people who helped to prevent a serious incident from occurring which could have had fatal consequences, as well as the local community for their co-operation and support.

“The investigation team worked around the clock to identify and arrest the people responsible.

“Incidents of these types are taken very seriously within the force, and undoubtedly cause concern and worry amongst people in the community, and we hope today’s result with both offenders now serving a lengthy prison sentence reinforces GMP’s commitment to protect the public.”

If you have a story tweet @BuryTimes or @Alicegerrard157 or email